Tuesday, June 19, 2012

EPDM VS. BUILT-UP ROOFING

Expansion and contraction, ponding, moisture, thermal shock, and temperature extremes are all factors that promote premature degradation of a roofing membrane. The great elongation and low temperature flexibility of EPDM membrane accommodate building movement in various climatic conditions without stressing the material. Its moisture absorption resistance allows the material to be installed in assemblies with lesser slope than other single-plies and makes it tolerable to incidental ponding and deflection. Unlike built-up roofing, EPDM membrane does not contain organic material that can decay as the result of moisture caused by condensation or leaks. EPDM membrane, due to its ability to withstand extreme temperature, can be successfully used in assemblies with greater thermal resistance (thicker insulations with higher R-values). The ability of a roofing membrane to withstand temperature extremes is an important trait of a high performance material because temperature extremes could promote premature membrane aging and reduce the life expectancy of a roof.

WINNER: EPDM

8 comments:

  1. From what I know, EPDM requires very little or no maintenance, and it is totally resistant to atmospheric pollution, which makes it a very good choice for urban roofing. It is quite suitable for most flat or slightly pitched roofs as well. The membranes flex and repel changes in temperature without cracking or peeling, and this is mainly due to the flexibility and durability of the single ply synthetic rubber material it is composed of.


    Sierra Nordgren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, EPDM could be the best option for roofing. It is easy to maintain, and it lasts longer than most of its counterparts. The only drawback it has is its expensive price. If you opt to have this for your roof, you must check your budget and you might as well compute for the ROI. That way, you can determine if you should indeed invest on this kind of roofing or not.

    Lino Kosters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more. see it here

    ReplyDelete
  4. “I could not have closed on my first home without Mr, Benjamin Lee ! Benjamin and his team went above and beyond for me on this transaction. He handled my very tight turn around time with ease and was always available for me when I had questions (and I had plenty), even when he was away from the office, which I greatly appreciated! He and his team handled many last-minute scrambles with the seller and worked tirelessly to make sure that I could close before my lease (and my down payment assistance, for that matter) expired. Mr Benjamin is incredibly knowledgeable Loan Officer, courteous, and patient. I went through a couple offers on properties before my final purchase and Benjamin was there to help with each one, often coordinating with my agent behind the scenes. I felt supported throughout the entire process. Thanks to Benjamin and the tireless efforts of his team, I am now a proud home owner! I would encourage you to consider Benjamin Briel Lee for any kind of loan.Mr, Benjamin Lee Contact informaions.via WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740  Email- lfdsloans@outlook.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. roofer in Hull

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! JM Roofing Company of Pensacola

    ReplyDelete